Payas (Rice Payesh)
- Milk : 2 ½ litres
- Joha rice : 30 gms
- Ghee: to caramel sugar
- Bay leaves : 2
- Sugar : 100 gms
- Raisins : 25-30
- Cardamoms (crushed) : 4
- Wash rice and soak for twenty minutes. Drain.
- In a little ghee caramel sugar and fry the rice till golden in colour.
- Boil the milk and simmer till it is reduced to half.
- Add rice and bay leaves.
- When the rice is cooked add sugar and raisins.
- Keep stirring. When the payas thickens remove form fire.
- Sprinkle cardamoms. Stir.
- Serve Payas hot or chilled decorating with a rose petal.
Notes: Payas is the most common sweet dish of Assam. It is also offered as a prasad.