Pithagurir Payas (Rice Powder Souffle)
- Milk: 1 ½ litre
- Sugar : 100 gms
- Rice powder : 100 gms
- Grated lemon rind: 1 level tsp
- Fresh cream: 75 ml
- To decorate : a tender lemon leaf
- Keep 250 ml milk aside.
- Boil the remaining milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Reduce to about 700 ml upon slow heat stirring occasionally.
- Mix the rice powder to 250 ml milk and add to the pan.
- Stir continuously so that no lump is formed.
- Add sugar, grated lemon rind and stir.
- Keep stirring till the payas thickens. Remove from fire.
- Beat the cream well.Add the cream to the pan and stir well.
- Serve Pithagurir Payas chilled.
- Decorate with a tender lemon leaf while serving.
Notes: When I first served the above sweet dish to my young friends Muni, Jeeta, Bornali and Purabi they thought that it was lemon soufflé, not a rice powder payas. I had to convience them by giving away the recipe.